To sell your house by yourself in Kansas City may be something you may have to do maybe once or twice in your life. Unless you know a local Kansas City real estate agent who will sell your house for free or accept a hugely discounted commission, then it can be a real pain in the rear and an expensive process for you if you don’t arm yourself with the right information.
You landed on this page looking for answers on: “How to sell your house by yourself in Kansas City ” because of a few reasons. Probably because of the following…
- Have very little to no equity in your house and can’t afford to pay a real estate agent’s commissions
- Have equity but want to try and save money by selling the house yourself before you resort to hiring an agent
- In foreclosure (or heading that way) and just need to sell fast without incurring thousands in agent commissions
- Can’t wait for months and months to sell your house fast in Kansas City and you want to try and sell it more quickly
Whatever your reasons, there are ways to sell your house yourself here in the local Kansas City real estate market.
Since 2013, the housing sector has been experiencing a major recovery. Selling your house at this time will definitely be profitable if you do it right. In most cases, it is about using smart marketing strategies and being realistic about your expectations on what you want to achieve with the sale.
This article will provide some guidelines to help you sell your Kansas City area house yourself.
How To Sell Your House By Yourself In Kansas City – Let’s Dive In
1.) Know The Kansas City Real Estate Market Well
The first and most important step is to do market research on your neighborhood in the Kansas City area. This first step can already be done by going online visiting various home marketing sites (like Zillow, Eppraisal the Chase home value estimator, etc.), calling a couple of real estate agents to see what your home is worth, or reading about the various market pricing techniques. Proper research on these matters will allow you to come up with the right price for your house which greatly helps in avoiding certain selling mistakes.
If you don’t want the hassle of trying to come up with a home value yourself… give us a call at (816) 600-4417 and we’ll give you an honest fair valuation of what your house is worth on the retail market (just the same as when you wait about 3-6+ months to find the perfect retail buyer). We are Kansas City home buyers and we’ll make you a fair all-cash offer on your house to give you that option of selling quickly (we can close in as little as 7 days if you want to).
Assess the Market
This step is almost similar to conducting market research, only that in this case, you are bound to your neighborhood and similar houses. Are there lots of houses for sale in your neighborhood here in Kansas City? If so, what is the average that they are listing for? Are there lots of foreclosures in your neighborhood? That may drag your house price down.
Assess the house
As a seller, your house should be in tiptop shape in order to sell at a good price. Identify certain unique characteristics about it and emphasize them during your house showings. For example, a house with driveway parking may be less attractive to buyers compared to one with garage parking.
Check out your house and ask these questions:
- Does your house require repairs?
- Does it need to be repainted inside or out?
- How is the roof’s condition?
- Is the landscaping in good shape?
- Is the house outdated at all? (you know, those popcorn ceilings *wink).
All of these things can make the house more or less attractive depending on the buyer’s house requirements because these factors can totally influence the price they’re willing to pay.
After going through all of these questions, come up with an asking price for your Kansas City home that is fair, something not so high that it’ll take you 12 months to sell the house, but attractive enough so you get a frenzy of buyers who are ready to buy it quickly.
Use Photos or Video
Kansas City buyers are obsessed with media. Taking walk-through videos of the house and using those videos to advertise will enable you to reach a wider market. In fact, these videos are considered more transparent than taking photos. However, this should not stop you from using the latter option since it is more affordable compared to the video.
So taking great pictures of every room in the house significantly helps show it off. Take a picture from the outside in a few different angles because people want to see the house before they even show up in person. Having great quality pictures of your house online could be the difference between getting the right buyer quickly and waiting months and months to sell.
Get Your House “Listed” On The Local Kansas City MLS And Market It
You can find low-fee real estate brokers these days who will only charge you a few hundred bucks to put your house on the local Kansas City MLS. This gets your house in front of all of the real estate agents quickly (so be prepared to pay those “buyers” agents a 3% buyer’s broker fee if you plan to have their support in helping you find a buyer.
Place ads in the local newspaper, signs on the roads, and hold an open house.
Sound Like A Lot Of Work To Sell Your House By Yourself in Kansas City?
It can be.
And in the end, many Kansas City house sellers think they’re saving money and time by marketing the house themselves, when in the actuality, it may even cost them more money to go down that route.
When you want to sell your house fast in Kansas City here are some things you need to consider…
- Not accommodating enough showings or aren’t ready to spend much time marketing your house right…selling it yourself may not be your best bet
- Not preparing or staging the house enough for buyers to really build the value of your house in their minds. You may actually sell the house for 3-8% less than you could have gotten for the same house if an experienced person marketed the house for you
- Too many sellers never think about holding costs or opportunity costs but every month that your house doesn’t sell means another mortgage payment, tax payment, insurance, utilities, etc. If your total mortgage payment is $1,500/mo, with $1,200 in interest, and it takes you 7 months to sell your house, then that would cost you an extra $8,400 (not to mention taxes and insurance you paid during that time). So, if you were able to sell that house more quickly, wouldn’t it make more sense for you to accept a discounted price today so you can close quickly and move on? That’s something to think about.
If you’d rather skip the hassle of trying to sell your house by yourself in Kansas City and opt for a fair price without paying any commissions or fees…
We’d love to make you a fair,
NO OBLIGATION and NO HASSLE cash offer
on your house.
We are established Kansas City Home Buyers and we can close quickly (in as little as 7 days if you want to) making you save thousands of dollars vs. trying to sell the house yourself and waiting for months on end.
When we buy local Kansas City houses, KC Property Connection takes care of all repairs that are needed (and we pay for it ourselves) so you don’t have to worry about anything else.
If you want to see what we can pay for your house, give us a call today at (816) 600-4417 or just fill out the quick simple form through the link below.